Maxillary Lateral Ridge Augmentation with Autogenous Mandibular Symphysis graft Prior to Endosseous Dental Implant Placement: A case report
By Dr. Badry Meouchy, Pr. Elie Azar Maalouf, Dr. Sami Mouwakdie, Dr. Cherine Farhat, Dr. Khachig Kourshounian.
|Figure. 1: Preoperative CT scan|
Figure. 2: Preoperative maxillary ridge form with obvious horizontal ridge defect
Figure. 3: Preoperative maxillary ridge form with obvious horizontal ridge defect
|Figure.4 The recipient site after flap raising|
|Figure. 5: Harvested corticocancellous grafts|
|Figure. 6: Grafts secured with fixation screws|
|Figure. 7: Bio-Oss®filling the gaps around onlay grafts|
Figure. 8: Grafts covered with Bio-Gide® membrane
|Figure. 9: Postostoperative CT scan, 5 months after surgery|
|Figure. 10: Postoperative CT scan, 5 months after surgery|
Figure. 11: Postoperative CT scan 5 months after surgery
|Figure.12: Postoperative ridge form|
Figure. 13: The recipient site 6 months after surgery
|Figure.14: Implant site prepared|
|Figure. 15: 3 Astra Tech® fixtures placed|
|Figure. 16: Direct abutments in place|
|Figure. 17: Temporary bridge in place|
Figure. 18: Periapical radiographs 2 months after implant placement
Figures. 19: Final crowns in place 2 years postoperatively
Figure. 20: Final crowns in place 2 years postoperatively
|Figure. 21: Final crowns in place 2 years postoperatively|
|Figure. 22: Final crowns in place 2 years postoperatively|
Figure. 24: Control periapical radiograph 2 years later
- Spin-Neto R, Landazuri Del Barrio RA, Pereira LA, Marcantonio RA, Marcantonio E. and Marcantonio Jr E. Clinical Similarities and Histological Diversity Comparing Fresh Frozen Onlay Bone Blocks Allografts and Autografts in Human Maxillary Reconstruction. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, 2013;15:490-497.
- Nissan J, Mardinger O, Calderon S, Romanos G and Chaushu G. Cancellous Bone Block Allografts for the Augmentation of the Anterior Atrophic Maxilla. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research 2011;13:104–111.
- Chiapasco M, Di Martino G, Anello T, Zaniboni M and Romeo E. Fresh Frozen versus Autogenous Iliac Bone for the Rehabilitation of the Extremely Atrophic Maxilla with Onlay Grafts and Endosseous Implants: Preliminary Results of a Prospective Comparative Study. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research 2013;16:121-128.
- Brånemark PI, Lindstrom J, Hallen O, et al. Reconstruction of the defective mandible. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg.1975;9:116-128.
- Mertens C, Steveling HG, Seeberger R, Hoffmann J and Freier K, Reconstruction of Severely Atrophied Alveolar Ridges with Calvarial Onlay Bone Grafts and Dental Implants. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, 2013;15:673–683.
- Donos, N., Kostopoulos, L. and Karring, T. Alveolar ridge augmentation by combining autogenous mandibular bone grafts and non-resorbable membranes. Clinical Oral Implants Research 2002;13:185–191.
- Misch C.. Comparison of Intraoral Donor Sites for Onlay Grafting Prior to Implant Placement. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implant 1997;12:767—776.
- Misch C. Use of the Mandibular Ramus as a Donor Site for Onlay Bone Grafting. J Oral Implantol 2000;26: 42-49.
- Truedsson A, Hjalte K, Sunzel B, Warfvinge G. Maxillary sinus augmentation with iliac autograft - a health- economic analysis. Clin Oral Impl Res 2013;24:1088–1093.
- Proussaefs P, Lozada J, Kleinman A, Rohrer M. The Use of Ramus Block Grafts for Vertical Alveolar Ridge Augmentation and Implant Placement: A Pilot Study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implant 2002;17:238-248.
- Von Arx T, Häfliger J and Chappuis V. Neurosensory disturbances following bone harvesting in the symphysis: a prospective clinical study. Clinical Oral Implants Research 2005;16: 432–439.
- Verdugo F, D'Addona A and Pontón J. Clinical, Tomographic, and Histological Assessment of Periosteal Guided Bone Regeneration with Cortical Perforations in Advanced Human Critical Size Defects. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, 2012;14:112–120.
- Smith B, Rajchel J, Waite D and Read L. Mandibular Anatomy as it relates to Rigid Fixation of the Sagittal Ramus Split Osteotomy. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1991;49:222-226.
- Young C, Sandstedt P, Skoglund A. Comparative Study of Anorganic Xenogenic Bone and Autogenous Bone Implants for Bone Regeneration in Rabbits. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implant 1999;14:72-76.
- Arzi Z, Nemcovsky C, Tal H. Efficacy of Porous Bovine Bone Mineral in Various Types of Osseous Deficiencies: Clinical Observation and Literature review. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 2001;21:395-405.
- Hämmerle CHF, Chiantella GC, Karring T, Lang NP. The Effect of a Deproteinized Bovine Bone Mineral on Bone Regeneration around Titanium Implants. Clin Oral Implants Res 1998;9:151-162.
- Zitzman N, Schärer P, Marinello C, Schüpbach P, Berglundh T. Alveolar Ridge Augmentation with Bio-Oss: A Histologic Study in Humans. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 2001;21:289-295.
- Berglundh T and Lindhe J. Healing around Implants in Bone Defects Treated with Bio-Oss. Clin Oral Implants Res 1997;8:117-124.